Friday 15 March 2013

Toiling My Lantern Skirt

The other week I started toiling my Lantern Skirt, I first drew a horizontal straight line and then a vertical line at a 90C angle to the first line.  as I am going to have 8 panels to create the ball shape, I have to divide each measurement into 8. I then took an 8th of my waist measurement and marked it evenly across the top line where the line crosses.



I then measured how long I wanted the skirt and added a little extra as it will poof out and marked the bottom line down from the waist line, I then drew a line half way down. After I had the grid I measured how wide I wanted the half way point, divided by 8 and then marked the points on the line, I the did the same with the hem. After that I drew a curved line connecting the waist line measurements and the same for the hem. I then drew a curved line on each side making sure it passed through the middle measurements. 


I then added a 1cm seam allowance all the way round, and then cut out the pattern. I then folded the fabric so there was 4 layers and cut out 8 pieces. 


After I cut out the pattern I realised that it was far too wide so I trimmed 4cm off each side. Remembering to keep the same curve. 


 After I had my pattern pieces I sewed them all together at the sides and then sewed half way up the back seam for  a zip, It will look much better with netting underneath to bag it out. I thought the skirt looked too long so I took off Around 10cm off the hem off the pattern. 



And that was the finished toile, unfortunately I didn't take pictures of every step but I did recreate my pattern on Illustrator which is the first image. 

Thanks for reading!! What do you think of my first toile?? 

Jenny xxx




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...